8 Grandview Ave Canonsburg, PA 15317 | Direct Hire
The Scrum Master is the process coach within a cross-functional Scrum Team and is responsible for the team’ s adherence to the Agile values and principles and the Scrum methodology. As a member of the team, the Scrum Master models the values and principles and encourages self-organization within the team. The Scrum Master intentionally has no managerial authority, but acts as a servant leader within the team to help the team work to the best of its ability by removing impediments and driving process improvements. The Scrum Master also owns the release burndown reports used to notify the rest of the organization about the progress the team is making toward the solution they are building.
- Strongly serving and supporting the Product Owner and Development Team in their quest to do everything possible to delight customers
- Providing all support to the team using a servant leadership style and leading by example. This person should personify Scrum and Agile.
- Spearhead change throughout the organization to maximize benefit of Agile practices
- Guiding and coaching the Scrum Team on how to get the most out of self-organization
- Guiding the Scrum Team to fill in the intentional gaps left in the Agile/Scrum frameworks
- Assessing the Scrum Maturity of the team and organization and coaching the team to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization
- Removing impediments or, when appropriate, guiding the team to remove impediments effectively
- Protecting the Scrum team from outside distractions, including other work assignments
- Building a trusting and safe environment where problems can be raised without fear of blame, retribution, or being judged, with an emphasis on healing and problem solving
- Facilitating getting the work done without coercion, assigning, or dictating the work
- Facilitating discussion, decision making, and conflict resolution
- Assisting with internal and external communication, improving transparency, and radiating information
- Supporting and educating the Product Owner, especially with respect to refining (aka grooming) and managing the product backlog
- Keep up with industry experience in Agile/Scrum and related concepts (DevOps, Lean Startup, etc.)
SPECIFIC EDUCATIONAL/VOCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’ s Degree in Business/Technology or related field.
- Evidence of proactively pursuing Agile or Scrum knowledge or experience
- Experience with or knowledge of Agile and Scrum
- Certification preferred— CSM, CSP, PMI-ACP, or PSM
1. Has knowledge of Agile and Scrum and the “ why’ s” behind the practices
2. Has knowledge of optional Agile best practices that fill in the gaps of the Scrum framework (User Stories, Test Driven Development, etc.)
3. Able to recreate Agile artifacts in low-tech and high-tech settings and explain when to use each type
4. Must exemplify servant leadership— leading by self-sacrificially supporting the team rather than demanding anything. The Scrum Master is a part of the team and must be able to gain the trust of the team in order to guide them without an official leadership position. The Scrum Master considers the good of the organization and team top priority, and any personal benefit as secondary.
5. Team builder— must be attentive to team morale, and facilitate compromise, conflict resolution, and team bonding
6. Must be proactive and process-oriented— the Scrum Master drives change for the betterment of the team and the organization
7. Able to translate values into concrete practices
8. Able to communicate to all levels of organization
9. Possesses superior communication, planning, and organizational skills.
10. Must also possess excellent problem solving skills with good judgment and decision making.
11. Must work well with undefined goals. A Scrum Master will provide their own tasks and self-prioritize in deciding what to pursue when there are no urgent issues.
12. Must be able to guide the team to meet established objectives, priorities, and deadlines in an Agile manner, particularly by using Agile planning techniques.
PERFORMS RELATED DUTIES:
Other duties as assigned.